Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

madoverlord:robots-utterly [2016/05/14 13:14]
madoverlord
madoverlord:robots-utterly [2016/10/04 14:42]
Line 1: Line 1:
-==== Utterly Offensive Build Report (Robots) ==== 
- 
-**A design that never got built** 
- 
-<​html><​a href="​http://​media.madoverlord.com/​Lg/​_B1206/​_B120634.JPG"​ target="​_blank"><​img src="​http:/​wiki.animeigo.com/​MO/​Sm/​_B1206/​_B120634.jpg"></​a></​html>​ 
- 
-In light of the success of the current incarnation of 
-Totally Offensive 
-(success defined as [a] it wins and [b] it doesn'​t destroy itself in the process), I've decided to build 
-a lightweight,​ 60lb version of the robot, currently named "​Utterly Offensive"​. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-The Totally Offensive design seems to be pretty mature; the combination of the strong rear 
-spar and the stiff but springy titanium box section that captures the Magmotor/​Weapon gearbox works 
-well and doesn'​t bend when it delivers its devastating “whack job” attack. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-The fact that I don't have to build a new frame for T.O. after every event gives me the time 
-and money to devote to the new project (or more precisely, it gives me a way to convince my wife to 
-give me the money to build a new robot). ​ I want to apply the lessons we've learned while building (and 
-re-building,​ and re-re-building,​ and re-re-re-building...) T.O. to a heavier bot, while remaining true 
-to the Totally Offensive philosophy of delivering insane amounts of //shock and awe//. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-At the same time, I want to make improvements wherever I can.  There are some clear weak spots 
-in the T.O. design (in particular, the exposed wheels) that should be addressed in a new robot. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-<​html><​a href="​http://​media.madoverlord.com/​Lg/​DSC035/​DSC03536.JPG"​ target="​_blank"><​img src="​http:/​wiki.animeigo.com/​MO/​Sm/​DSC035/​DSC03536.jpg"></​a></​html>​ 
- 
-The 
-first step in the design process was to determine what parts we could re-use in 
-an Utterly Offensive design. ​ As long-time readers know, I'm a big fan of the 
-[[http://​www.teamwhyachi.com/​TBox.htm|Whyachi T-Box]] drive 
-gearboxes -- and since I have plenty of spares, using them would be an obvious choice. ​ The question 
-is: can 2 T-Boxes, driven by  
-[[smalljohnson.t.html|Small Johnson]] (RS540) motors, push around a 60lb robot? ​ Now, 
-experienced engineers would be able to do the drivetrain and traction computations to figure this out, 
-but because I haven'​t a clue as to how to do that, I just piled 40lbs of bricks on top of T.O. and 
-tried to drive it. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-Interestingly,​ it not only drives very well, but it drives **better** 
-than T.O. does at 30lbs! ​ The extra weight helps the wheels bite in and get good traction, at least 
-on concrete - no wheelspin. ​ So at first glance, it looks like they'​ll work.  It's not like I plan to be pushing 
-the other robots around much!  If U.O. does need to push a robot around, it'll just have to bust it 
-into 2 or 3 smaller bits first... 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-<​html><​A HREF="​http://​wiki.animeigo.com/​pdf/​UO-2006.pdf"​ TARGET="​_blank"><​IMG SRC="​http://​media.madoverlord.com/​Sm/​UO-200/​UO-2006.jpg"​ BORDER=1 WIDTH=96 HEIGHT=124 ALIGN=TOP ALT="​Img"></​A></​html>​ 
- 
-With 
-that issue settled, it was time to play around with design and layout (click on the image to see a PDF).  This time, instead 
-of wrapping the robot around a S28-150 //shorty// MagMotor, the idea is to kick it up 
-a notch and use its big brother, the 
-[[http://​www.robotmarketplace.com/​marketplace_magmotors.html|S28-400]]. ​ Furthermore,​ we will expand the titanium box 
-structure and use it to store the batteries (which were stashed on top in T.O.). 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-Other changes in the design: 
- 
- 
- 
-  * Room for up to 6 18v [[http://​www.battlepack.com/​NIMH%20battlepacks.asp|NiMH BattlePacks]],​ so we can run at 36v or even conceivably 48v, though I have no idea if the motor can take that kind of stress! 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * 0.125" Titanium plate (T.O. used 0.100) 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * Aluminum back spar (T.O. had a Ti one, but it was hard to make). ​ Since U.O's spar does not 
-stick out from the main box, 6061 should be OK. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * Outboard wheel bearings to help support the T-Box wheels when the robot does the bouncy-bouncy and comes down hard.  These will incorporate an integrated Ti deflector to try and keep debris and enemy weapons away from the wheels. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * 12.35lb 5" x 0.5" x 22" blade spinning at 4900rpm if I'm insane enough to run the MagMotor at 48v. Will have ability to add teeth onto the blade tips.  May go to a Ti blade with tool-steel teeth. If it turns out I don't need 6 battery packs, I'll be able to add blade weight. Note that 22" is the same size as T.O's blade, so it can be used in an emergency. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * Separate weapon and drive [[http://​www.teamwhyachi.com/​MS1.htm|Whyachi power switches]]. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * Signature Self-Righting Hoop, just like T.O. 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * Since there'​s no battery box on top of the robot, it can be configured to run inverted with the blade on top (which I refer to as "​Buster Mode" in honor of the [[http://​homepage.mac.com/​hrucker/​buster/​PhotoAlbum12.html|elegant robot of that name]]). 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-  * As configured, 58.6lbs -- way underweight by my standards. 
- 
-Nothing is cast in stone at this point, but I hope to finalize the design after getting some 
-feedback from other builders, and get it running in time for Motorama. ​ I won't be able to 
-compete there, but they might be dumb enough to let me spin it up in their box! 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-More details soon! 
- 
- 
- 
- 
- 
- 
- 
-